Sunday, February 21, 2010

Olympic Curling: Too good to turn the channel

Honestly, I haven't watched much of the Olympic games. However, there is one sport that's caught my attention: curling. Now, my frustration wasn't with the sport itself. No! My frustration was that I had no idea about what was happening and why there was such intense sweeping on T.V. I watched the curling match between the U.S. and Germany women's teams. After watching for a while, curling reminded me a little of horseshoes because the team closest to the special little spot gets the points. I know, horseshoes may sound a little country or back at the barnyard, but I'm not exactly from the city. Now that I think about it, curling is probably more like shuffle board, not horseshoes. I mean, the only rules I know about the game of horseshoes are family rules. I'm sure you know how accurate they can be.

I couldn't resist. I looked up curling on Wikipedia to figure out why I was watching Olympic sweeping. It turns out that curling has been around since the 16th century. I also found a pretty nifty website, available in German and English, that gives curling basics. The best part about this curling website is that it gives animated examples.

You know what else I've found entertaining? Listening to the teams from different countries yell at the sweepers is pretty amusing. I'm learning how to say "no" in several different languages.

What I like best about curling is that it adds more diversity to the Winter Olympics. You hear Winter Olympics and you automatically think of sports with requiring skates. Now when I think of the Winter Olympics, I think of brooms. Way to go curling!

1 comment: