Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Too costly to kill: Pricing the U.S. death penalty

It is cheaper to give someone a life sentence than to put and keep them on death row. While most of us would do anything to get ahead in a long line, I'm sure this is one exception. In an attempt to make sure that an innocent person is not put to death, a person can remain on death row for an obscene amount of time. I applaud the effort.

The problem is this: We are in a recession. Each death penalty case can cost a state millions of dollars. Each. How many people could be employed with that type of money? If many states are reluctant to use it and it's wasting money that isn't really available, I don't see the harm in doing away with it. It seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway if it's being used like a life sentence with a scary overtone.

Doesn't a life sentence without parole seem like its own death? I cannot speak for those unfortunate enough to have lost a loved one at the hands of another. I honestly cannot say if I would or wouldn't want to seek legal vengeance. I think it would be interesting to take a poll of those who have sought the death penalty for someone. I wonder if they still feel comfortable with the "eye for an eye" justice after some time has passed after the incident.

What can be done if they later feel remorse? Nothing. Here we have the possibility of adding guilt on top of mourning. Some may see this as the chance we take playing god. Regardless of moral reasoning, there are obviously ever-increasing reasons to do away with the death penalty.

 I even have a slogan: Save an inmate, save a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment